Posted on June 18th, 2012
In the last ten years potatoes have received a bad wrap from the mainstream media. For those who warn against the evils of carbohydrates – potatoes are at the top of the list of foods to avoid . But, as with anything, it depends on your circumstances. Personally – I am not a diabetic. I exercise regularly and I enjoy potatoes occasionally. I won’t proselytize on the topic. You are best to manage what you put in your mouth. However, if you are inclined to eat potatoes here is a great little potato dish that I like in my arsenal of side dishes. It is pretty straightforward and difficult to mess up. I use baby potatoes: They have less variation in size than regular potatoes and are therefore easier to cook evenly; are conveniently bite sized making it possible to choose to make less of a potato commitment if we want, than if large potatoes sit on our plates.
|Roasted Baby Potatoes with Cheese & Herbs Recipe|
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups of baby potatoes
- 1/2 cup low fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced fresh dill
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 shallot diced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1/4 cup lemon thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to HI broil. Then boil a pot of water and add 3 cups of baby potatoes. Boil potatoes until done all the way through (roughly 10 minutes). Check readiness by piercing with a knife. The blade should glide through the potato smoothly.
- While the potatoes are boiling, grate 1/2 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese and set aside. In an oven safe dish, add 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp of minced fresh dill, freshly ground black pepper and 1/4 tsp of sea salt, 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1 shallot diced and 1.5 tbsp finely chopped chives.
- Slice each potato in half and coat each side of the potato in the herb mixture.
- Broil until surface potatoes are browned.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese on the potatoes. Mix the potatoes around so the ones previously at the bottom are now on top.
- Broil until these new surface potatoes are also browned. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese on them. Continue broiling for another minute.
- Remove from the oven. Sprinkle with a 1/2 tbsp of raw chives. Serve.